How can we help you?

What if I have medical bills that are determined to be not eligible, but I don’t agree with the decision?

  1. Call us. There can always be differences of opinion. Most disputes can be resolved with a simple phone call. If you disagree with a decision, please call and one of our helpful advisors will do everything possible to help.
  2. Formal Appeal. Follow the Dispute Resolution and Appeal process outlined in the Sharing Guidelines.

In all cases we strive to serve our members as best as we can in accordance with our sharing guidelines.